The Commonwealth Youth Awards for Excellence in Development Work 2018 aim to raise the profile of young people and highlight the contribution they are making towards developing a fairer, sustainable, peaceful, and prosperous future for the Commonwealth. This special edition of the awards will coincide with the Commonwealth Youth Forum (CYF) preceding the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London, April, 2018 under the theme “Towards a Common Future” and will highlight the contribution that young people are making throughout the Commonwealth, in areas such as poverty alleviation, conflict resolution and prevention, democracy and environmental preservation. The Commonwealth Youth Awards give international, regional and national recognition and support to those young men and women who have demonstrated young peoples capacity and potential to make positive contributions to their communities, nations and the world at large. Young people are not passive beneficiaries of development and spectators to programmes and of policies that affect their development, but rather are integrally involved in the process of change as they continue to work side by side with decision makers as key actors and stakeholders contributing to national development.
The young people who will receive this award should demonstrate measurable/tangible impact through their development work.
The main Objectives of the Commonwealth Youth Awards are to:-
- Highlight the contribution young people are making to promote the common goal of a future built on fairness, peace, prosperity and sustainability and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
- Acknowledge the outstanding contributions made by young people to overall development and democracy goals in the Commonwealth;
- Create an environment which will encourage and sustain investments in youth led development;
- Illustrate the depth and breadth of talent, commitment and creativity that exists among young people across the Commonwealth by highlighting nominees’ success stories;
- Motivate, encourage and challenge young people (aged 15-29) to set high standards for their work/service at community, national, regional
The project will focus on achieving the following:
- Strengthen existing youth development programmes and systems, and ensure that these are more adaptable to shifting market needs;
- Encourage the return of skilled Gambian migrants by supporting the creation of jobs across the country and supporting the re-integration of these into the economy and society;
- Provide support to trade promotion organization and other institutions in the development of accessible and flexible learning models and tools;
- Provide skills-building training and support programmes to young entrepreneurs to improve their competitiveness and performance;
- Promote a shift from low-productivity subsistence work, especially farming, and into more productive activities in modern manufacturing and services;
- Raise awareness about skills training and development for 100,000 youth;
- Ensure that 7 000 youths complete technical or vocational training programme or an apprenticeship;
- Provide entrepreneurship services – such as business advisory support and access to finance – for at least 8 000 youth, and;
- Support and help improve the training programmes for 10 partner institutions.
- The nominee must have been engaged in development work for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity;
- The nominee must be a Commonwealth citizen and the development work must be taking place in a Commonwealth member country;
- The nominee should not be older than 39 on 31 December 2018;
- Individuals can nominate themselves or be nominated by someone who can accurately describe their development work ++
- The winners must agree to take part in publicity generated by the Commonwealth.
Eligible Countries: Commonwealth countries
To be taken at (country): UK
How to Apply:
- Register an account (Link below).
- Start your entry (save it in-progress).
- Submit your entry to be in the running. Best of luck!